Friday 23 October 2009

Vintage School Posters


I thought I'd show you some charming posters that have just been added to the "Second Childhood" department of my shop.

They are from vintage (30's, 40's & 50's) issues of Child Education magazine & were intended for use in classrooms.
The illustrations are so charming & colourful & would look fabulous framed.

The one above is "Cleaning The Rabbit's Hutch" from 1953.

The one below is "Harvest Time" from 1939 - poignant to think that such a peaceful country scene is depicted in the year the world went to war.



"Mother Goose's Village" is from 1952 & depicts all sorts of traditional Nursery Rhyme characters.


This one depicts Queen Elizabeth II leaving Westminister Abbey after her coronation in 1953.




"A Country Fair" is from 1940 - also during the war years.

There are others too - it's always amazing when something as fragile as paper survives all this time (including the war years) & they do deserve to be cherished for years to come.

8 comments:

  1. The posters are lovely - I especially like the fairground one.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful pictures and what a contrast to the posters schools get issued with now!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The posters are wonderful! They would be great framed and it would preserve them for years to come. I love graphics from the 30's, 40's & 50's. Reminds me so much of my family.
    ~Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted earlier, but doesn't look like it took, unless it's delayed? Sorry if I'm posting twice in that case. I love your posters. The top ones look like "Dick and Jane" book characters.
    Happy Saturday,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really sweet posters.
    thanks for sharing them with us.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete